Conscious Consumer Questions
- Where a product is made
- How it’s made
- Who is making it
- What it’s made of
- Why I need this product or good
WHERE WAS THIS GOOD MADE?
When considering where a product is made/created, I ask the following questions:
- Is it local?
- How far did it travel to get from its very beginning to my hands?
- If it’s from far away or possibly questionable conditions, is there a more close to home alternative?
- Is it made in a factory that emits toxic waste, for example, or a sustainably-run farm?
HOW WAS THIS GOOD MADE?
- Are the practices used to create this product detrimental to human or environmental health?
- How many resources were used to create this product? (Water, oil, etc.)
- Do the conditions in which it was made try to minimize impact on the environment through renewable energy, use of recycled materials, or other ways of reducing waste?
WHO MADE THIS GOOD?
This relates to human/workers rights and working conditions:
- Are those that created this product or good working in positive conditions?
- Do they make a living wage?
It also ties into the concept of fair trade:
- Is every party involved in the creation and delivery of this good being treated equally and paid fairly?
And who we’re supporting with our money:
- Who is behind this product that I’m supporting? Is it a large corporation, a small business, an individual?
- Is this the kind of business/company that I feel good supporting?
WHAT IS THIS GOOD MADE OF?
This ties in to the question of how a good is made.
- What is behind/underneath/within this product? What is it actually made of?
- Are there any unnecessary (and possibly harmful/toxic) ingredients/materials in this product?
- Is this made of ingredients or materials that are nourishing and healthy for my body?
WHY DO I NEED THIS GOOD?
- Will this item improve my life?
- Can I function happily without this item?
- Do I already own something like this?
- What unique purpose or role can this product play in my life that nothing else can?
- Where will this “live” in my home? Do I have room for it?
- Is this a high-quality product that meets my standards as a conscious consumption?
- Can I truly afford this?